Sunday, June 28, 2009

Beginning of the End

Well, time for the "goodbyes".

The first one took place this morning as I attended my last church service at UCF. It was hard to hold back the tears, and every now and then, one slipped down my cheek. I have loved worshipping there, it has been a pure joy to be apart of the fellowship. I did not have to say goodbye to the staff, as I decided that I am going to go in on Tuesday for a couple hours to visit and give gifts and take pictures. Not pumped for that. On my way home today from church, I stopped at the grocery store and had an African meal. I mean, my own version of African meal - the stuff I like. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I haven't been a fan of the Ugandan food. I think the biggest reason is because its like a million degrees and then they give you this piping hot food. I'm just a lightweight, and I hate to sweat, and this is a recipe for perspiration. It's really left me and Ugandan food on bad terms. So anyway... today I bought passion fruit juice, which is the best, baby bananas, dried mango, and a rolex. When I first came to Uganda I was so confused because people were always talking about getting rolexes, and I thought it was just a joke they thought was funny. And then, I mean after like one time, its not funny anymore. But then I found out it was food. Its basically an omelette rolled into a chapatti (which is kind of like naan bread, or a more pastry like pita). It's so good, and so filling, and so cheap - 1,500 shillings and its about a foot long. 1,500 is equivalent to about $1.50. Beat that subway. And then the other thing I need to mention is that Uganda has made me a believer in bananas. I absolutely love them here, I eat them whenever I can get my hands on one. But they're baby, they're like half the size of regular bananas, and they are so sweet. All the missionaries have told me that the bananas are so much sweeter than they are in the states, and way better here - so I don't anticipate eating any at home. But here's hoping that this love carries over because there so convenient and delicious.

Ok, back to goodbyes.

The second one is to our beloved Kololo house. Maybe one of the hardest goodbyes... I absolutely love this house. Right now, as I am writing this, there is a major thunderstorm taking place. All the windows are just screens, so everything is open and I can smell the rain and feel the earth cooling down as the wind is brought through the windows. I love that; it's so cozy. This place has been a refuge, and I feel at home here.

And then, as I already said, Tuesday is the big church staff goodbye day. That will be so hard.

And then of course to the Davis'... and that will be real hard as well.

But of course, at the end of the goodbyes come the hellos. Which is the sweet side of it all. And here comes the chance for me to bring back what I have learned, and how I have grown here, and how to apply that to my day to day life. And honestly, I am nervous for that transition. And I am praying earnestly, and maybe you can too, that God would be faithful in showing me ways to transition well and that I would continue to grow on this path that God has set me on. And I'm scared that I am going to forget - to forget all that God has taught me, the experiences I have had, things I know about myself, about God, about His Word. There's just so much! Maybe that's a silly fear, but I'm praying that I won't forget.

Tonight is USA vs. Brazil. So pumped about watching the game. A win for the US would be a great last memory in Kololo 1. Holler.

No comments:

Post a Comment